Disclosure: We are a professional review website that receives compensation from the companies whose products we review. We do extensive research on products and base our content solely on our independent evaluation and opinion.
Have you ever wondered how people watch Netflix on old school TVs? Or switched from Netflix to Amazon Prime Video to Hulu to Youtube to ESPN? Even if you didn’t spend a grand on that Black Friday “deal” for a smart T.V. there is a cost effective way to take the same old beat up ‘90s T.V. in your family room we have all grown to hate and make it a smart TV.
How to Turn Any T.V. Into A Smart T.V.
There are two things you will need:
Once you get these two items it will be as simple as plug and play with these devices to get it done. For all intents and purposes, we have laid out a few simple steps on how to make any T.V.- SMART!
- Plug an RCA cord (white, red and yellow) from your T.V. to the RCA to HDMI converter box.
- Plug an HDMI cord from the Amazon Fire Stick to the RCA to HDMI converter box.
- If needed, Plug the USB cord from the RCA to HDMI converter box into a 5W power source (like a phone charger) and plug it into the wall!
- Launch your Amazon Fire Stick with Alexa Voice Remote and enjoy your new-old smart T.V.!
Alternatively, if you have an HDTV that isn’t smart (this is starting to sound crazy), it gets even easier! Here are the steps to get your HDTV loaded with Smart T.V. features:
- Plug the Amazon Fire Stick into the HDMI port of your T.V.
- Plug the power adapter into a wall outlet.
That’s literally it! Launch the Amazon Fire Stick and get started! However, that’s literally it for those of you that are familiar with setting up devices like an Amazon Fire Stick. But if your new to the process we want to provide all the information you need to get started! Here is a guide to get you started with your bright new shiny device (as suggested by Amazon themselves!):
- Select the input channel for your Fire TV Stick. Turn on your TV and select the HDMI input channel that you connected your Fire Stick to.
- Set up your remote – Insert the batteries in the back of the remote.
- Pair your remote – When you put the batteries in, it should already be paired to your Fire TV. If it isn’t paired, hold down the home button for 10 seconds and it will enter discovery mode, so it can be paired with your Fire Stick.
- Connect to the Internet – On screen prompts will guide you through connecting your Fire TV Stick to the Internet with your Wi-Fi connection. (Tip: Save your Wi-Fi password for future use).
- Register your device – Follow the on-screen prompts to setup your Fire TV Stick, by logging into your Amazon account or setting up a new one, if needed.
- Get Started – Your done, ENJOY your new Amazon Fire Stick!
Alexa Fire Stick Features
So, why would you even want an Alexa Fire Stick plugged into good old bulky or your HD T.V.? Well, for one it has tens of thousands of channels, apps, and exclusive Alexa skills. You also will have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, and more. AND access to millions of websites such as YouTube, Facebook, and Reddit with browsers like Silk and Firefox. Alexa Fire Stick is literally anything you want to watch all-in-one. With as easy as it is to get it hooked up, we definitely think you would want it plugged into good old bulky after all!
- Watch Live T.V. and sports from AMC, HGTV, ESPN, FOX, and others with a subscription to DIRECTV NOW, Sling TV, or top-rated primetime shows with CBS All Access.
- By downloading applications, you can watch live T.V. on the Amazon Fire Stick. Some applications offer free trials, followed by a monthly subscription. If you find one you like, try it out!
- Plug and play – Unplug your Fire Stick and move it to any T.V. and/or location to pick up where you left off on your favorite show or movie.
- Use the Alexa Voice Remote to make a truly smart experience with an ancient T.V. Say “Launch Netflix” or “Play Game of Thrones” or even literally order a pizza, find movie show times, play music and much more.
- The Alexa voice remote allows you to literally speak into you remote to give your Fire Stick commands!
- Pair your Fire Stick and Echo devices to use your Echo to control your Fire Stick. Pretty cool, huh?
- Use your Echo device to control your Fire Stick. If your remote isn’t close, but your Echo is, problem solved!
Adding these additional features to your T.V. could easily save you hundreds to thousands of dollars on a new one! We hope this helps you get your T.V. all the bells and whistles you always desired. Don’t forget to DROP a comment below and be sure to let us know if we helped you bring back life to your aging behemoth!